Old Stone House (Brooklyn)

The Old Stone House is a 1933 reconstruction, using some original materials, of the Vechte–Cortelyou House, which was destroyed in 1897. The original house was an important part of the 1776 Battle of Long Island during the American Revolutionary War; its reconstruction is on Third Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues, in the J. J. Byrne Playground of Washington Park, in […]

Timeline of Brooklyn history – Brooklyn Borough Hall 1848

Brooklyn Borough Hall was designed by architects Calvin Pollard and Gamaliel King in the Greek Revival style, and constructed of Tuckahoe marble under the supervision of superintendent Stephen Haynes. It was completed in 1848 to be used as the City Hall of the former City of Brooklyn. In January 1898 the independent City of Brooklyn merged with the City of New York, and Kings County became the Borough […]